Sunday, June 15, 2008

Garden Rehab


I wish I could say that those radishes came from my garden but, sadly, my vegetable patch is in sore shape right now. Between hail storms and lack of water (I went to Colorado for a week and a half and didn't solidify a garden caretaker- bad call, I know) only the lavender is thriving this June. Even my cilantro has crapped out on me.

No worries though because I am going on super-garden-rehab mode! What, you ask, does that entail? Well, aside from frequent waterings, this:

  • A fresh layer of homemade compost as mulch and fertilizer
  • Culling back all the dead plant life
  • Loosening hard, dry soil
  • Did I mention water?
  • Harvesting some herb growth to encourage new growth
  • Some natural fertilizer. Compost tea from the Natural Gardener?
  • Lots and lots of late evening plant care sessions
Any other rehab ideas or suggestions? I am such a trial and error gardener, so if there's some "secret" out there I would love to hear it!

Really, for me, around 7 in the evening is about the only time in Austin I can enjoy gardening. Otherwise I have to break out the sunblock and if I'm breaking out the sunblock, I might as well be at Barton Springs!



3 comments:

shyla said...

up date yo blog

Unknown said...

I miss you :(
Hugs,
Me

shyla said...

Hi Kristin,

I wasn't able to see your alaska photos in facebook (I saw your profile one but not the others)~ you should post them here. It would be cool if you kept up this blog next year ect. as you are moving away from a lot of people who would love to know about the progress of your adventures. I love you.